Once Upon A Fan

Magic is Here! 

Forums

Forum Home > Spoilers > Baelfire's Real Dad

Kandice

Anyone listen to the podcast this week (about the crocodile)? They implied Rumple may not be Baelfire's real father and that is something for another episode.

Not surprised by this, though I'm surpised they were so open about it. Wonder who it will be. I was thinking before last night's episode that maybe it's hook, but hook came along after.

--

October 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kris

Actually if you watch "Desperate Souls" the Dark One says that Rumpelstiltskin is raising a boy who may not be his own.

October 23, 2012 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Wishes Are Children

Yeah, I noticed that Kris. Wasn't sure if he was being truthful or not, since he wasn't being all that kind.

I'll have to listen to the Podcast on the Croc. I've know almost everything before they've said it...except that Rumple didn't know who he was until he knew who Emma was! In any case, ithe podcast is awesome sause.

October 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

I had my doubts about Rump being Bae's dad because of Desperate Souls putting doubt in my mind. I guess I wasn't expecting them to fess up to that the way they did.

Makes me wonder if Bae knows? I'm sure Rumple probably does.

Oh and I also had no clue that Rumple had fake memories until Emma showed up. That really changed my way of thinking on this show.

--

October 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DanielaSLib

The moment Zoso told Rumpel in "Desperate Souls" that Baelfire may not be his son, was the moment he got exactly what he wanted to gain from this remark. Rumpel just ended his miserable life and became himself the Dark One.

I always thought that was the whole point of those nasty words, to get Rumpel angry at him. It's like he'd said: "you know that your wife made always out with other men, don't you?" After "The Crocodile" this acusation is even worse, sinse we know in between, that Rumpel had to live with the fact that he was not able to rescue Milah from being abduced, and most likely killed, after being horribly abused by pirates, at least that was what he thought to be true.

It's just years later, after he became the Dark One, and after he also lost Baelfire that he learned that all of this was just a big fake, engeeniered by his own wife, and her new lover. You know the rest of the story.

So since Rumpel didn't waste a single thought – at least so far we know – about Bae maybe not being his son, after he learned that his wife maybe (and that stands as it is, a possibility) cheated on her husband before Jones came along, why should I think this matters?

What should I expect to happen if Bae is not his son? If Milah had another man during her early years with Rumpelstitskin and Bae is the son of just another random Killian something? Should I think, in the moment Rumpel reminds himself about that possibility, that he'll stop caring for his non-son? Stop looking after his non-son? Maybe kill the boy for not being his son?

All I can see is, it doesn't matter for him, because after all, he never stopped looking for his son. That implies for me he loves this boy, anyway, even if there is the possibility that he's not his son.

After all it wouldn't be Baelfire's fault, so why punish a boy who's not more than a plaything between the needs of some adults, accidentally being his parents.

November 23, 2012 at 4:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

Oh I agree. To me it adds to Rumple's character that he loves Bae even though Bae isn't biologically his. I assumed though that Zoso saying that Bae may not be Rumple's son pushed Rumple over the edge because he knows it's true or very possibly true.

--

November 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bluewildrose

Kandice, I agree with you re Rumple's character. He's so brilliant because he's so multifaceted, and his love for Bae in spite of the child's possible origins just adds another lovely twist.

--

November 24, 2012 at 1:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DanielaSLib

Kandice at November 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Oh I agree. To me it adds to Rumple's character that he loves Bae even though Bae isn't biologically his. I assumed though that Zoso saying that Bae may not be Rumple's son pushed Rumple over the edge because he knows it's true or very possibly true.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. But, I still keep asking myself: What is the point of making some dude the biological father of Bae? From what we've seen so far in this show, parents and their children, and the love they share for each other, are one of the the core of (nearly) all the stories we've seen in OUAT, and in all stories the children are obviously their father's children, and not the result of some adventure the woman in question had.

And, from what we've seen from Milah, although she's not happy in this relationship, and she's looking for a bit of distraktion, visiting the town's tavern, she must not necessarily cheating on Rumpel from the start on. When she met Killian Jones her son is at least 5 or 6 years old, so he's surely not his father. And to think she had permanently affairs with other men, making her the town's whore, looks a bit too harsh for her character, IMO.

I still refuse to believe she's done something like this before she met Killian Jones. And in the end the question for me stays: what's the point of making Rumpel not the father of Baelfire? Explaining his addiction to children, because he knows that he don't have a child?

I'm looking for an explanation that makes me understand this idea, and so far I don't really see why there should be more about this nasty remark from Zoso, than to make Rumpel really angry. Cos, you know, if you tell any random father that his children are not his but somebody else's, don't wait for the raction, run directly. Cos, what you're telling him is, that his – beloved or not – wife is doing out with other men, and to that, I cannot imagine that any men will just shrug and say, 'well, but I love "my" children, anyway', and 'I knew all along that my wife cheated on me, so what'!

November 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Belle89

Their marrige was obviously never a happy one, so Bae possibly being someone else's son sadly isn't a massive leap.

I feel sorry for Rumple as we learn more of his back story.

--

Do the brave thing and bravery will follow. ~ Belle

And all you'll have is an empty heart and a chipped cup. ~ Belle

November 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

Well, I can't say for certain why the writers would make Rumple not Bae's father. I'm guessing if it is true, we will find out eventually. Truth be told, I actually hope we never find out. I like the idea of never knowing for sure.

I just think there is a lot of evidence pointing to Rumple not being Bae's dad.

--

November 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

OK I guess he really is Bae's dad. Isn't that why the blood worked on the globe?

--

January 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Judd

thats what I was thinking as well the reason that the globe worked was that the person that it was locating had to be related

January 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.