Once Upon A Fan

Magic is Here! 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > The Dark Curse and Belle's (& Sneezy's) Memory Loss

tnk

I've been pondering over this since the show began, and I want to throw out some ideas.

We know that Regina cast the Dark Curse by sacrificing the thing she loves most (something, presumably, that Rumpelstiltskin couldn't do). We know that Rumpelstiltskin gave her the curse, but do we know that he created it by himself (or came up with the idea himself)?

1. What if Cora helped Rumpelstiltskin to create the Dark Curse?

Maleficient states that the person who made it has no morals, basically that the curse is pure evil. This sounds more like Cora than Rumpelstiltskin, but maybe I'm biased (he was a bit more evil then). Cora is also unaffected by the curse. Is this because she is just that powerful (and that, had he chosen to, Rumpelstiltskin could also have evaded it after it had been cast)? Or is it because she had some stake in it?

2. Is the curse actually broken?

R calls the effects of crossing the line the "new" curse, but if it's a brand new curse, who cast it? We have the catch all of "magic works differently in this world" to contend with, but suposing the "new" curse is really the "old" curse, just not fully broken? As far as I know, Gold only states that the curse will be broken if (1) Emma dies or (2) Emma breaks it. But how can Emma break it? True Love's Kiss is the method we're shown, but True Love's Kiss is almost a cure-all for everything (inlcuding the curse of the Dark One, which doesn't even belong in the Enchanted Forest world?). Generally, in fairy tales, curses are broken in one of two ways: (a) the hero uses a kiss to cure the afflicted victim, and (b) the hero destroys the monster or source of the curse. (It is also hinted by a few that Emma's belief in magic and the reality of their story will break the curse, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.)

I posit this theory: I don't think the curse is completely broken. I think Emma broke the Sleeping Curse on Henry with True Love's Kiss, and has weakened the Dark Curse, but I don't think she's completely broken it. I think Emma can break it if she kills the person who cast the curse (Regina/Gold/Cora?), or perhaps by some method as yet unknown.

Memories:

I also think Emma might be the only person who could bring back Belle's or Sneezy's memories (their loss an obvious result of the "new" curse). Emma has magic - at least, she has power over the dark curse and those who seem to use "dark" magic - so it's possible, perhaps, that she can cure Belle and Sneezy, regardless of what the "new" curse has done to them.

Finally:

Why does Rumpelstiltskin want all those babies?

Does he also "own" Regina (having made a deal with her mother)? Is he going to give Regina back to Cora?

Why did Hook save Aurora's heart?

How does Cora know that lost souls aren't dead?

What favor will Rumpelstiltskin ask of Emma?

--

TNK

"Everyone wants a magical solution to their problem..." - Hat Trick.

January 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheSavior
I personally think that the curse will be fully broken later in the series with Emma sacrificing herself and possibly coming back to life. Cliche I know, but obviously the "whole" curse isn't broken yet, or perhaps it would have been if Rumpel didn't bring magic into Storybrooke.
January 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarcasticEnigma

Well, at least one of your questions is answered: Emma's favor to Rumpel is helping him find Bae

January 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tnk

Yeah, I haven't seen the latest episode, but I sort of figured that would happen from the season 2 promo. I now definitely think that Rumpel bargained for Regina (with his usual prescience as to her usefulness) in exchange for Cora's success in marrying Henry Sr. He's given up on that bargain now, so Regina will be not be able to resist her mother (or won't be as likely to). This makes sense in terms of how quickly Regina (or so I've understood from my reading) has patched things up with Cora.

--

TNK

"Everyone wants a magical solution to their problem..." - Hat Trick.

January 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WishfulThinking

tnk at January 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen the latest episode, but I sort of figured that would happen from the season 2 promo. I now definitely think that Rumpel bargained for Regina (with his usual prescience as to her usefulness) in exchange for Cora's success in marrying Henry Sr. He's given up on that bargain now, so Regina will be not be able to resist her mother (or won't be as likely to). This makes sense in terms of how quickly Regina (or so I've understood from my reading) has patched things up with Cora.

And I guess we're to get to know Cora's story as being the original fairy tale about Rumplestiltskin - for we still haven't seen that yet and the title "The Miller's Daughter" sounds pretty much like it's going to be that, doesn't it?

That Rumple's giving up the bargain for Regina is the reason for her inability to resist her mother sounds quite logical. Along with the psychological fact that the bond between mother and daughter is about the strongest there can be.

--

"Magic always comes with a price, dearie..."

February 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melocallia

I had a funny thought when it came to the the question of why Rumple wanted all those babies. He is the FTL's adoption agency. ;)

Seriously though I always thought that the baby thing was a test with his clients, or at least one of the reasons. If they were really willing to give up thier own children, they didn't deserve them and needed to go to better homes. That and it also maybe revolves around assaging some of the guilt he had for not going with Bae, he was just doing it in a really twisted way. 

--

Pan ~What? Do you think that kiss really meant something?~

Hook ~I do. I think it means she is finally starting to see me for the man I really am.~

Pan ~Who? A one handed pirate with a drinking problem? I'm no grown up, but I'm pretty sure that is less than appealing.~ 

Oooh, can you fell the burn? ;)

February 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WishfulThinking

Hahaha, FTL's adoption agency, that's a good one! Though I really think there's some truth in there: Obviously, he doesn't keep the babies - so where do they go to? And after all, he gave Charming's twin brother and then Charming to King George - really quite like an adoption agency! And this might actually be a rather convenient side-effect for his numerous deals. Of course, it is sort of a test to see how far people are willing to go, how desperate they truly are, how much they are prepared to sacrifice (and sacrificing one's own children - even just as a "test" - is something known in uncountable stories (Bible, mythologies etc.). Especially for someone like Rumplestiltskin who knows that his own wife abandoned her son so easily and who must continually blame himself as well as others for losing his son himself, making deals like that seems quite in-character for me.

--

"Magic always comes with a price, dearie..."

February 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.