Once Upon A Fan

Magic is Here! 

Forums

Forum Home > Spoilers > 2x14 Manhattan - Spoilers & Speculation

Melocallia

Wishes Are Children at February 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, the Zoso being Rumple's dad theory is unlikely, but I feel like a lot of things are. Just trying to cover all the bases. I think the most likely cliff hanger is that A) Rumple and his 'son' aren't actually related or B) It will be prophesy that his son will kill him. Honestly, I wouldn't be bothered if Rumple wasn't related to him. I think that the fact that Rumple raised him as his son and went to the lengths he did mean more than blood relation. If his son is prophesy to kill him...things aren't always as they seem. (I'm not touching the 'Bae is dead' theory. Robert would make me cry, and I'd continue to cry about it for a long time.) Hopefully they will execute this episode well. I think the execution of the episodes is as important as the outcomes or information we are presented with in the end. If not, we can start a board, gather everyones perspectives and talk it thought.

February 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melocallia

Yeah, the Zoso being Rumple's dad theory is unlikely, but I feel like a lot of things are. Just trying to cover all the bases. I think the most likely cliff hanger is that A) Rumple and his 'son' aren't actually related or B) It will be prophesy that his son will kill him. Honestly, I wouldn't be bothered if Rumple wasn't related to him. I think that the fact that Rumple raised him as his son and went to the lengths he did mean more than blood relation. If his son is prophesy to kill him...things aren't always as they seem. (I'm not touching the 'Bae is dead' theory. Robert would make me cry, and I'd continue to cry about it for a long time.) Hopefully they will execute this episode well. I think the execution of the episodes is as important as the outcomes or information we are presented with in the end. If not, we can start a board, gather everyones perspectives and talk it thought.

Wishes: I agree with you on the matter regarding whether Bae really is or isn't Rumple son genetically. Rumple raised him, loved him and protected him. I feel Real love does not discrimante on the basis of blood realation, it's based on the heart and mind of the individual and more than likely that is the path the magic follows. 

The one thing is think I remember is that the Blue Fairy said the magic of the Dark One was not of their world. Could the prophesy revolve around the possibility of the land trying to rid something that does not belong and Rumple is just the right kind of person to do it? I am still banking on the idea that if the prophesy does predict his death, it is more of a metophorical one than an actual physical one. In most tales and mythology there is some conflict and or resolution between father and son, so maybe the writers are just using that common theme as a vehicle to deliver the story?

I can't wait till 8!

--

Pan ~What? Do you think that kiss really meant something?~

Hook ~I do. I think it means she is finally starting to see me for the man I really am.~

Pan ~Who? A one handed pirate with a drinking problem? I'm no grown up, but I'm pretty sure that is less than appealing.~ 

Oooh, can you fell the burn? ;)

February 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

tnk at February 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Well, let's try to be optimistic!

I doubt that Rumpelstiltskin killed his father (or that Zoso was his father), though that would be interestingly ironic. I almost think that Zoso came to the EF from a different land altogether. If your theory is correct, it makes Rumpelstiltskin seem like a combination of Esther Summerson from Bleak House and Estella from Great Expectations, which just shows that not much good comes of being raised by spinsters! (Or do they mean spinners? Or spinner/spinsters = The Fates.)

As for the prophecies, the most obviously "unwelcome souvenir" would be a prediction of Rumpelstiltskin's death, barring that of Emma's or Regina's, or possibly Belle's (marking the end of Rumbelle). It would certainly be tantalizing, but on the other hand, incredibly foolish to kill off the most popular character. I suppose some might call it ground-breaking, but I think the show would then go the way of Robinhood. Also, if he knows he's going to die (and knows how it will happen, presumably) then why is he living like he isn't going to die? Or has it all been an elaborate mask?

I still very much think this could point to his son killing him, and that he has known this all along. He practically tells Archie that his son may want to kill him (a normal reaction? I guess...), he certainly knows that he'll see Bae again, but this only makes him agitated, and he isn't going to take Belle with him...does he really believe that he's coming back to Storybrooke?

But I'm probably way off.

If it is his death, we may all be left wondering when it will happen (and go on wondering for several seasons), all the while knowing that he will die. That could be fun, but would leave me with quite a lot of genre-confusion as to what this show really is.

I heard that there was, apparently, a lot of hype about the reveal of Hook and Cora coming to Storybrooke, which wasn't as big of a surprise as the producers seemed to think. So, maybe this too shall pass?

Like I said I've been nervous before and it all worked out. Like the last season the pictures showing Regina and David Nolan eating dinner together at Regina's house made me so nervous, but turned out to be nothing so maybe this will be the same. Still for me the difference between this hype and the hype of the Queen of Hearts is Matt Mitovich isn't on the ABC payroll. They hype I heard about Queen of Hearts came from the producers and ABC promos.

With that said, I like your theory here. I would OK with a possible future death of Rumple. Since the future could rewrite itself and we would never really know what will happen. You are right about Rumple telling Archie his son might want to kill him. Maybe that's why he gave the dagger to August (when he thought he was Bae), maybe he wanted to get it over with?

--

February 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

Up until In the Name of the Brother I had serious doubts that Baelfire was Rumple's biological son (I even started that forum post about it lol). However, if that turns out to be the case I may be a little bothered by that... Why did the stupid globe work with Rumple's blood then? Unless Rumple has a brother who fathered Bae... :/

--

February 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

Don't know if you saw this on Twitter earlier, made me chuckle. I think if I don't like what happens in tonight's episode I will make a Grumpy Cat meme. ;) :lol:

https://twitter.com/17JedA/status/303201640318640128/photo/1

--

February 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Judd

Yea I took the globe working with Rumples bloos was that proved a blood relation what does not have me convienced that Neal is Bae is if you look at where the globe showed it was no where near new york yet they are off to New york and suposedly run into Neal ( literally) to me there seems to be a weird hole there.

February 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tnk

So many interesting ideas. I will have to read your comments on the watching post (if you comment there), since I don't have tv.

In relation to what you were suggesting about the way prophecies work out, I can think of several things. If the prophecy foretells Rumple's death (and, really, he's got to die someday anyway), then perhaps we may see a Neo/Matrix reversal coming on, a sort of "you can't win in this life" which means you'll have to die and come back, and this is very prevalent in fairy tales and myths. The monster/hero Cuchulainn was reborn several times.

On the other hand, I really like the idea that Bae may not be his biological son, so that, if his son is predicted to kill him, and we (the audience) know that Bae is NOT his son, but Rumple and Bae don't know that, there will be so much dramatic irony! Which is always fun for the audience. And that sort of thing is, again, very prevelant in Greek myth (Oedipus, etc.) - always the old "I was trying to avert disaster, but didn't realize I was walking right into it" trap.

The globe may simply function by showing the doner (of the blood) the location of the thing he or she loves most.

--

TNK

"Everyone wants a magical solution to their problem..." - Hat Trick.

February 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Judd

Well if the globe showed the doner of the blood the location of the thing they love the most then that would mean that the thing Rumple loves the most is somewhere according to the globe would be somewhere in the deep south which is the exact opposite of where SB is and where Rumple, Emma and Henry are which still has me skeptical of who Neal is I think that he is an important character but unless this episode proves me wrong I still don't think that he is Bae

February 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melocallia

Or they can really shock us and make a twist of the prophesy fortold his death at the hands of his 'offspring'. 

So if Neal ends up not not being his biological son, it can actually be Regina by his liason with Cora, and she had never told him. Depending on how close the two were she may even know about the prophesy too.

That would be a twist that could be a real game changer, especially if they (Cora, Regina and Hook) get thier hands on the knife.

--

Hook ~I do. I think it means she is finally starting to see me for the man I really am.~

Pan ~Who? A one handed pirate with a drinking problem? I'm no grown up, but I'm pretty sure that is less than appealing.~ 

February 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tnk

Melanie Judd, I think the discrepancy with the globe is probably the result of Everything Cool Happens in New York syndrome, and for some reason they pinpointed a wrong location (or an ambiguous one), not thinking that the fans of Once would be crazy enough to track down pictures and pinpoint the location for themselves. But, I hear ya. I would also like to think it's significant, and was also resistant to Neal being Baelfire.

I know there are some arguments for Regina being Gold's daughter, but I doubt it will prove true. I don't get that vibe from them and, seeing Gold pick Belle over Cora, I doubt that this is likely in terms of the character. I think there's more spinner-Rumpelstiltskin in him than Dark One Rumpelstiltskin, even in the bad decisions he makes.

Now, I just have to wait til tomorrow to catch up with everyone else.

--

TNK

"Everyone wants a magical solution to their problem..." - Hat Trick.

February 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kandice

tnk at February 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Melanie Judd, I think the discrepancy with the globe is probably the result of Everything Cool Happens in New York syndrome, and for some reason they pinpointed a wrong location (or an ambiguous one), not thinking that the fans of Once would be crazy enough to track down pictures and pinpoint the location for themselves. But, I hear ya. I would also like to think it's significant, and was also resistant to Neal being Baelfire.

I know there are some arguments for Regina being Gold's daughter, but I doubt it will prove true. I don't get that vibe from them and, seeing Gold pick Belle over Cora, I doubt that this is likely in terms of the character. I think there's more spinner-Rumpelstiltskin in him than Dark One Rumpelstiltskin, even in the bad decisions he makes.

Well the globe might not be wrong, maybe Neal was on a business trip or vacation in where ever the map was pointing too. At least that's what I am telling myself. It's better than thinking they thought we Oncer wouldn't notice. ;)

I agree about the Regina being Gold's daughter. I never got that vibe from them either.

--

February 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie Judd

I have never gotten any type of connection between Rumple and Regina other than to on up eachother power wise so I also agree that regina is not rumples daughter she probably is as shown Cora and Prince Henry's daughter and Cora as the millers daughter had to get Regina back from rumple breaking the deal that they had made before Regina was even born. Kandice or else they wanted us to notice to try and throw us off

February 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melocallia

Kandice at February 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

tnk at February 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Well the globe might not be wrong, maybe Neal was on a business trip or vacation in where ever the map was pointing too. At least that's what I am telling myself. It's better than thinking they thought we Oncer wouldn't notice. ;)

I agree about the Regina being Gold's daughter. I never got that vibe from them either.

Well, it was just a wild thought about the Regina angle. :) 

But they once again proved you don't have to go too far fretched to have a really good twist in the story. I can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

--

February 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

flippet

Can someone link to a screencap of the globe? 

I really think that half the issue is that when we see an unbroken map of the entire North American continent - including everything right up through Canada and beyond - it's easy to mis-judge specific locations, because we're used to using the US/Canada border (and state lines) as a reference point. 

Heck, just living in Michigan, I've seen how easy it is for people to miss exactly where the Great Lakes are, and temporarily mistake Hudson Bay for them.

That said, it did look more like DC than New York specifically, but the blood also wrapped around to a lot of places - perhaps it congregates where a person's spent time, as well as where they are at the moment.  And/or, the blood 'stops' where they are, but gravity takes over....so you're looking at the top edge of the spot rather than the center of it.

Regardless (speaking of overthinking things) - I really think it's just a small error in graphics, if anything.  It's not like this show doesn't/hasn't made mistakes.

--

February 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WishfulThinking

So, since the site seems to work again now, after my absence for the weekend...

I honestly don't think that Regina is Rumple's daughter - and if she is, I'm sure neither of them has any idea. So Neal is Bae - as I thought :) But the family-thing will obviously be rather problematic. Darn, I can't wait for the next episode! I wonder what will go on with Rumple and Henry...But, at any rate, that prophecy doesn't necessarily have to mean death - "undoing" could be understood in quite some other ways...

And now we know how Rumple got his forsight - as well as his limp, too. What an episode, really!

--

"Magic always comes with a price, dearie..."

February 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.